Creativity & Genre

Creativity is a very important life skill. It might not even seem like it, but you're constantly being creative and coming up with new ideas on a daily basis. Like right now, I have to be creative in order to write this because if I wasn't, this wouldn't flow and it would just be a bunch of words and boring to read.  


Self efficacy is similar to confidence. It is how creatively we perform on a function. I feel that our creativity is more limited in school. With the dress code and even the work we do, they contain us and it is harder to just be ourselves. But, as stated in the article, "high levels of creative self-efficacy do not guarantee a successful outcome." This means being creative doesn't mean you will succeed right away. You have to balance everything perfect. 


For the first time, I actually enjoyed this Ted Talk and though it was super informational and helpful. He talks about the fact that he believes everyone is very creative, but the only person stopping you from thinking that is yourself. People tend to think that as you age you get less creative, but Duncan Wardle disagrees. The best ideas will come to you after time. He proves that by stating that when you have an argument with someone and the best comeback comes to you after the fact, which I think we can all agree with. 


I researched a lot about the magazine "Better Homes and Gardens" and "Southern living." I started reading souther living first and as I did, I realized how different people's views are on how they want their house to look and what they want to do for it. I would never do some of the things that are included in the articles about what they did to their house. Don't get me wrong, they are very pretty and modern, it would just be not what I would choose. I also don't like the way it is organized. I feel like it was very jumbled, and I wouldn't organize it like that. 


Next, I looked at Better Homes and Gardens. I preferred this over southern living, because it was more organized and all the home decor they showed was more my style. Granted this was the Halloween edition and I love Halloween. Another thing I preferred was that southern living had interviews with specific people and how they redecorated their house, and I don't like that. Better Homes and Gardens did not have one- on- one interviews. 

 

These magazines typically are very bright and colorful and have a lot of natural lighting from windows or things of that nature. The effect that the audience gets from it is a very pure and happy. The style might not be for everyone, but it reflects the style of the home decor that is portrayed throughout the whole magazine.


For my project I am choosing the general interest genre. At first was wanting to do something to do with celebrities, such as a magazine like "People" but I didn't think about the fact that I would have to get celebrities and interview them for the magazine, so unfortunately, I don't have access to any celebrities that I could do that with. My backup plan was to do something along the lines of "better homes and gardens" and "southern living" because I also love the home decor type of thing. I think that would be fun to write about also, so that is my new approach. 

 
 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peer Review